Which Training Provider?

Moderator: Bluewednesday

Which Training Provider?

Postby realphilbrown » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi Guys

I am looking into doing my AAT level 2 in the very near future. I am 33 and currently work full time as a graphic designer so my only option right now is distance learning.

I've done a little bit of looking around on the internet and it appears there are a number of options available. I'm also looking to keep this as cost effective as possible. My friend mentioned that i could possibly buy all the books and reference material myself and then just apply to do the exam at the end. However, I've now read that you need to be with a training provider so that they can mark certain modules and put you through the final exam?

All I'm looking into at this moment is the level 2 certificate. Does anyone have any experience with different providers and courses? I made an enquiry with premier training, and am also reading good things about Kaplan too. They both seem pretty expensive though. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Would be very grateful to hear any thoughts or advice from those who done distance learning. Also, what kind of time do people estimate it would take on average to complete level 2?

Many thanks in advance

Phil
realphilbrown

Re: Which Training Provider?

Postby Lesley » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:54 am

I tried to do an AAT Payroll course through BPP but found although the course work was easy, there was a lot to do and it took up an awful lot of time. Feedback was VERY slow. I got fed up with it in the end and gave up on the Payroll course and just concentrated on my ACCA studies. This was a long time ago so hopefully they have improved.

However, I have done quite a lot of taught and revision ACCA courses with Kaplan and BPP and they are both equally excellent tuition providers. I don't think you can get taught AAT courses at Kaplan or BPP though, only home study? You need to be very self motivated and have a nice quiet home environment to do home study. I think there are two different ways to do AAT, one being more practical than the other (at least there used to be, I am sure there are people here that know a lot more about AAT than me). If you were to do ACCA CAT which is the same level as AAT you would just have to do the exams which might be more suitable for distance learning. It doesn't seem as common a qualification as AAT for some reason. Perhaps ACCA's CAT doesn't offer the same exemptions with CIMA CIPFA and ICAS as AAT? Another option is to contact your local colleges as a lot of colleges run AAT courses in the evenings. This might not offer a less expensive option but would give you a lot more help and encouragement with fellow students to discuss the subjects with.
Lesley

Postby realphilbrown » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:03 am

Cheers for that, I do have a pretty good environment for home study and have found that Kaplan do do the AAT which you can also buy in modules which is much easier for me money wise. I also have friends around me who are accountants who are happy to help me out tuition wise if i get stuck. Self motivation is definitely not a problem :)

Haven't looked into the ACCA much or know much difference between the two but will certainly look into it. Bear in mind i have absolutely no background whatsoever in finance or accountancy so am learning from scratch!
realphilbrown

Postby yendordo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:58 am

Regarding time to complete Level 2 AAT, it does of course depend on how much time you can commit. As a rough indicator most colleges offer part time courses lasting 35 weeks at about 5 hours a week, ie 175 guided learning hours. I would normally recommend students do a similar amount of homework time (further reading & exercises).
Generally I would expect a distance learning course to require a similar amount of hours. Whether you achieve that in 3 months or 12 depends what you can put into it.
Rod
yendordo

Return to Foundation Stage