self study aat

For general discussions, questions and comments on AAT related matters.

Moderator: Bluewednesday

self study aat

Postby hallchris25 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:50 am

Is it possible to self study the aat course without a learning provider?

I was interested in the kaplan course but found it to be a bit pricey! Would it be possible to just buy the books and self teach myself and take the exams from there?
hallchris25

Re: self study aat

Postby Bluewednesday » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Yes it would but you would then have to find somewhere that would allow you to take the exams, I believe that Kaplan and BPP allow external candidates but you would need to check first. You would also need to pay for the units that need marking before sending in which I believe may be only ICAS in level 4.

Good luck
bluewednesday
Bluewednesday

Postby hallchris25 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:11 pm

Thank you for the reply Bluewednesday.

Could you explain your last sentence please ; "You would also need to pay for the units that need marking before sending in which I believe may be only ICAS in level 4".

I thought the aat was exam based?
hallchris25

Postby hallchris25 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Also when registering on the aat website it says to make sure you have a learning provider? In my case will this just mean where i intend to sit my exams.. such as the kaplan center in newcastle upon tyne?
hallchris25

Postby Bluewednesday » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:05 am

Hi there

There is a project at level 4 which needs to be marked by a tuition provider, that is the only unit that I'm aware of that needs support.

As to your second post - I think so but would ring Kaplan and check that you can do that.
bluewednesday
Bluewednesday

Postby anisurrahman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Is it possible to self study the aat course without a learning provider?

I was interested in the kaplan course but found it to be a bit pricey! Would it be possible to just buy the books and self teach myself and take the exams from there?

Hello hallchris25

AAT Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 'Computerised Accounting' and 'Working Effectively in Accounting and Finance' - these two modules need to be marked by your tutor.
----------------------------------------
AAT Level 3 student
anisurrahman

Postby realphilbrown » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:24 am

Hi HallChris25

I'm in the same position as you and also in the same area, didn't realise there was a Kaplan Centre in Newcastle?

I have some of the books on loan from a friend of mine to have a look at before i make the decision to start a course. Like you I find them pricey, and was wondering what i would need to do/buy, just to be able to study and complete the level 2 certificate myself?

I'm a little bit unsure how these distance learning/home study courses work, can anyone give a bit more in depth explanation?

Cheers
Phil
realphilbrown

Postby Je Mat » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I been reading all the entries in here about being self study in AAT for this is what I want to do with my study in the course ( AAT Level3 ) but so far there was none clear answer to this. I am a matured student and same with others committed most of my time at work and have family to attend to as well, so my time and resources specially money are limited and of my great concern.

I been looking around for training providers and so far the good deal which amounting to at least 650 w/0 fees for exam I have seen was with Premier and eagle. It means, for me to finish Level 3 I should have at least 1k in my pocket ready to spend for this.

I couldn't afford to spend such amount that's why I decided to look for alternative ways and found out self study could be the best solution. my concerns are, first , Am I able to register my self with AAT without having a training provider? Secondly, When ever I'm ready to take the exam/assessment for a certain paper/subject, which examination centre accepts external student( self Study ) is/are based around west midland area?

I am really interested to start with the course before the year ends and all your honest feedbacks and addition info on this has a great help perhaps in my part and will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Je Mat
Je Mat

Return to General AAT Discussion