Masters Degree v/s CA

For discussions, questions and comments on undertaking accountancy degrees and MBAs from UK universities.

Moderator: Bluewednesday

Masters Degree v/s CA

Postby artist@work » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:03 am

I have a BSc (Hons) in Accounting and Finance, and currently self studying for the last 2 option papers for ACCA. I have been working full time and have currently completed just over two years of experience in an audit firm. I'd like to know several things:

1) Apparently 3 years is needed to become a member after passing ACCA exams, will the years of experience I have up to now count?
2) I am faced with an option of doing a masters degree or completing the CA, PLZ advice on which is better...
3) I'd also like to know the procedure for qualifying CA after ACCA qualification...
artist@work

Re: Masters Degree v/s CA

Postby popeyeaccountant » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:13 am

1. If you were doing audit work at an audit firm, you should be able to count those two years as relevant experience.

2. Why do the CA after completing ACCA? They're equivalent.

3. It's probably best to check the ICAS or ICAEW website for the exemptions you can get. Your exemption entitlement is also dependent on what ACCA level 3 option papers you chose. Although I understand that you can opt in to ICAEW membership after 5 years of being an ACCA member, without extra exams.
popeyeaccountant

Postby cimaguy83 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:00 am

I have a BSc (Hons) in Accounting and Finance, and currently self studying for the last 2 option papers for ACCA. I have been working full time and have currently completed just over two years of experience in an audit firm. I'd like to know several things:

1) Apparently 3 years is needed to become a member after passing ACCA exams, will the years of experience I have up to now count?

Yes, but depending on what exactly you were doing. I have almost four years worth of purchase ledger experience but not all of it is of a sufficient level for all of CIMA's experience requirements, so I can only carry 18 months across. It depends how relevant your experience was.

[2) I am faced with an option of doing a masters degree or completing the CA, PLZ advice on which is better...

Better for what? Also, when you say "completing the CA", do you mean the ACCA qualification or ICAS/ICAEW? I'd argue you wouldn't get much of anything out doing of the ICAEW/ICAS in addition to ACCA, but you might find recipricol membership worth looking at. Again with masters degrees what did you have in mind? An MBA might come in handy if you do it a few years down the line (with 5-8 years experience), but an MSc/MA wouldn't be very meaningful outside of academic circles.
cimaguy83

Postby johannasteinn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:34 am

Finding Online Universities is easier than it sounds. There are many university online degree programs out there for you to choose from. You should start your search online so that you can learn more about universities offering online degrees and the enrollment policies so that you can select the perfect one for your specific needs and budgetary requirements. For more information about university degrees onine, check out the Roehampton onlinesite to find out more.
johannasteinn

Return to Accountancy Degrees