Should I leave ACCA

For general discussions, questions and comments on ACCA related matters.

Moderator: Bluewednesday

Should I leave ACCA

Postby reminder » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:28 am

Hi

I wonder if you could help me.

I started ACCA about 5 years ago. My intention of doing ACCA was to work in practice and open my own practice one day.

But that has not come about. For the last 3 years I have been working with charitable organisations doing fundraising and running community projects. But I have continued my study privately and now I have reached P2.

However, I am increasingly finding it very difficult to continue my studies while working and with family life.

So I want to take your advice.

1 - Should I leave ACCA as I dont have any more plans to open up my practice and I doubt that I will ever work in a practice?

2 - Can I convert the ACCA modules that I have completed to any other qualifications?

3 - Continue to push with ACCA as I only have 3 modules left

Thanks
reminder

Re: Should I leave ACCA

Postby Administrator » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi

That's a difficult one to answer but I would say if you can persevere and complete the course - it will prove invaluable in the future if your circumstances change - having the qualification on your CV will open many doors.

However, if you can't do that why not take a look at the AAT and see what exemptions you could get - you may find you could achieve an AAT qualification will little or no more exams.

Whatever you do, I would certainly try and get a qualification to put on your CV.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Mark
Over 4,300 accounting terms and definitions at Accounting Dictionary.org
Find all the latest news at AccountancyProfession.com
Administrator

Postby popeyeaccountant » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:05 pm

I was in a very similar situation recently.

I decided at the start of the P level papers that I did not want to be an accountant for much longer. I wondered whether stopping and going on to my new ambition (teaching) was the best decision for me. I decided to finish the ACCA in order to have something to prove to myself that all the effort and time spent on the exams already done did not go to waste. Plus, being a qualified accountant will give me more credibility as a teacher when it comes to guidance and offering careers advice. See - an indirect benefit of finishing it.

However, you need to guage if you have enough will-power to do the last three P2, and the options. Those three are by far the hardest of the ACCA examinations and will be the steepest part. If you don't have the energy to do it anymore, then it may be better to stop now. There were so many times I was frustrated and angry because I found these three so difficult. And it is a huge sacrifice as far as free time goes.

I just found out that I passed the last two exams so I am done and still plan on becoming a Maths teacher in about a year's time.

So if you have the determination and think you can do it, then do so even if you won't be an accountant anymore. Having something to show for it will make a difference even if just for yourself. But if your energy levels are spent and you don't have anymore juice, then it may not be worth the frustration.
popeyeaccountant

Postby reminder » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks very much for the replies.

I have just passed P2. This has given me morale boost to carry on with ACCA.

As both of you have mentioned completing ACCA will be handy in future, so I will carry on with it.

Hope for the best. Thanks
reminder

Postby omarpk » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:15 pm

I used to think like that for a number of years until I finally cleared my exams and qualified last year in August. In my case I was bullied at work for a number of years about being a part-qualified accountant which thankfully has now stopped.

Congrats on clearing 'The Beast' aka Paper P2. I first attempted it in June 2009 and due to work commitments and my own mistakes didn't pass it until June 2011. So I can understand how difficult it is motivating oneself to get up and study but just ask yourself - would you rather struggle for a few years and finally cross the finish line or would you rather want at some point in the future to ask yourself if you could have passed those remaining papers and become an ACCA.

I know its not easy, but KEEP THE FAITH (as cliched as it may sound) and you will be celebrating a BIG achievement in a year or two.

All the best!
omarpk

Return to General ACCA Discussion