MBA in financial services

For general discussions, questions and comments on ACCA related matters.

Moderator: Bluewednesday

MBA in financial services

Postby nivya » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi all............

Lsbf have launched this programme "MBA in Financial Services"
It's all online.

I am sure many of you must have heard and read about it aomewhere.........
So, what do you make of it if you want to get into financial services?
Considering the certificate will be from UEL(which is not a high ranking uni).....

Has anyone thought about this option with or after ACCA?

Share your thoughts...........

TA
nivya

Re: MBA in financial services

Postby Sharjeel1986 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:40 pm

I saw its Ad but never considered it. I am more interested in the Distance MBA from OBU it costs 9000 overall, so it is currently out of my range.

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
Sharjeel1986

Postby Kellity » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:09 am

Hi all............

Lsbf have launched this programme "MBA in Financial Services"
It's all online.

I am sure many of you must have heard and read about it aomewhere.........
So, what do you make of it if you want to get into financial services?
Considering the certificate will be from UEL(which is not a high ranking uni).....

Has anyone thought about this option with or after ACCA?

Share your thoughts...........

TA

I'm not very sure about the credibitlity of this MBA - I wonder if its AMBA accredited? When someone goes to an employer with an MBA, then the awarding university is an issue (unlike professional accountancy qualifications in the UK).
Kellity

Postby cityauditor » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:06 pm

I for one think that the prospect itself is rather attractive - combining ACCA with an MBA with a low cost/time commitment associated is an good proposition in terms of career prospects if one think of becoming FD (like I do).
I was thinking of an MBA regardless, but when I looked around at the programmes that my friends tell me are highly-regarded (aside from let's say London Business School- I don't think most of us consider this as an option), I'm rather annoyed by the fact core modules include stuff like Accounting & Financial Management (at Warwick) or Accounting Management Analysis and Financial Management (Imperial). Some people may think it's an advantage (easy modules for someone who has done ACCA) but I think it's a waste of time - I'd rather move quicker to getting this higher salary virtually all MBA graduates get.
In terms of accreditation, I don't think it's as important as often suggested, unless you work for a large enterprise with very rigid HR/career development procedures - most employers I think look at the skill-set you bring with you and the MBA certificate is just an additional proxy for assessment (albeit a strong one). In any case, I don't think an MBA from -any- UK uni can be unattractive to employers - some shady ones from correspondence courses with universities in Bangladesh may be looked down at, but from what I've seen on both LSBF's and UEL's website it looks like a genuine, credible degree.
Are there any current students on here who can spare some advice? I'm thinking of possible starting this in January.
cityauditor

Postby dave_0 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:12 am

Yes I thinking after ACCA you can do MBA. My friend who is a Thunderbird laureate alumni gave same advice to someone couple of months back.
dave_0

Return to General ACCA Discussion