Engineering degree+ CIMA

For general discussions, questions and comments on CIMA related matters.

Moderator: Bluewednesday

Engineering degree+ CIMA

Postby mokoko » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:46 am

Hi everyone!! I'm new to this forum and would appreciate advice regarding CIMA. I have bachelors degree in Communications Engineering. Currently working for one of the big mobile operators doing the technical stuff. Is it advisable for me to do CIMA for career progression towards the management? I have looked at the syllabus and really liked it.

Is strange for someone with and engineering background to do CIMA? well, my friends think so.
mokoko

Re: Engineering degree+ CIMA

Postby Peregrine » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:18 am

Welcome aboard!

YMMV, but I can see it being fairly reasonable. It is more the continental, especially German, style for their management accountants to have engineering backgrounds. What kind of things are you doing work-wise? (and remember to simplify it for the non-engineers among us)

I should emphasise that CIMA is an accounting qualification so, although it may help you progress towards management, it has a financial management flavour. If that's what you want, then that's good. You say you like the look of the syllabus, which is a good start. There's also a practical experience requirement, which may be difficult depending on how 'technical' your current work is.

EDIT: Just thought I should clarify what I meant my the emphasis on 'financial'. Financial accounting is mainly to do with external reporting: statutory accounts etc. Management accounting is more internally focused and concerns budgeting, costing and others: financial information, but for management purposes. I don't see the financial vs management accounting distinction to be meaningful.
Peregrine

Postby mokoko » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:50 am

I work for a mobile operator which has recently entered into a managed services deal with one of the leading telecommunication providers, so my job responsibilities are changing, in this new setup.

I have been working as a Core network engineer responsible, Monitoring 24/7 end-to-end services, networks and core network components, investigation, integration and resolution of faults, daily operation & maintenance routines. Core network node installation, testing and integration.

After the deal , am now Customer Solution architect:
Take an active role in creating awareness of technology advances, in selling established and new products
Support development of business cases to justify adoption of new technology
Conduct technical marketing by presenting technical solutions and products to customer
Knowledge of competitor's products, financial strength, solutions, pricing, business methods and customers
Business and financial awareness to ensure understanding of implications of various courses of action on costs and revenues

As for career progress
Customer solution architect=> senior customer solution architect => account manager
Or
Customer solution architect=> senior customer solution architect => Project manager

Account manager
Responsible for commercial strategy, terms and conditions, and associated risk exposure
Ensures sales opportunity profitability and cash flow level
Responsible for the final pricing, commercial terms and conditions that allows efficient contract/purchase order execution

I am much more interested in the route for the account manager.

According to CIMA http://www1.cimaglobal.com/cps/rde/xchg ... /32609.htm.
As for the practical experience requirement, can't I get that from volunteering to small businesses?
mokoko

Postby Peregrine » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:30 pm

That's quite a lot of jargon, but I don't really understand what you're saying. I think I can understand what the 'core network engineer' position entailed. But I don't know what a 'customer solution architect' is. Are you designing products and/or services? Or is it more of a sales-oriented role? Can you explain what do you actually do in non-technical terms? I am assuming that your overall role in the company has changed greatly, and its not primarily a change in title.

Similarly, I have seen many jobs for 'account managers' that I have found unsuitable for me because they are primarily sales and/or general customer service roles rather than what might be considered 'management accounting'.

As for the practical experience requirement, can't I get that from volunteering to small businesses?

Volunteering to do what, precisely? Possibly you could, but it depends what you had in mind.

It would probably be worth you having a look at the guidance brochure regarding practical experience, which you can find here:
http://www1.cimaglobal.com/cps/rde/xbcr ... re_web.pdf
Peregrine

Postby mokoko » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Well ,thanks. I hv decided to proceed and do CIMA. I will rethink about CIMA, after the Certificate in Business Accounting.
mokoko

Postby vghegde » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi mokoko ,

Did u pursue CIMA?

I've done Engineering and have been working as a Software developer.

I've few questions regarding Engineering + CIMA !

Thanks in Advance :)
vghegde

Return to General CIMA Discussion