Query

Moderator: Bluewednesday

Query

Postby Furqan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:38 am

After working for one year in the field of IT Audit, I started feeling that I should move into Finance because somehow I became more interested in it. But usually I used to think that maybe its too late for me to make a change (currently I am 28). I have been asking people that what should I do and that's what confused me a lot. I don't feel completely satisfied with what I am doing right now and I have decided to move into Finance.

I have been working as a Senior IT Auditor/Consultant for about 3 years and 7 months in one of the big 4 firms in Pakistan. I have done my BS in Computer Engineering (4 year Degree), Qualified ACCA Part I, passed F5, F4 and F8 up till now. I am also CISA Qualified. I am planning to do my MSc in Economics or Finance & Economics from the UK in 2010. Before that I have planned to get passed in 5 more ACCA exams before the start of the Masters program.

As I previously mentioned that I want to move into Finance, so I thought that I will have to apply for the 'Graduate Scheme' to get the relevant Finance experience by either working in the Financial Audit or Financial Advisory service lines (I would prefer working in one of these two).

When I sent an e-mail to Deloitte New Zealand (No specific reason for choosing New Zealand). This is what I received:

"From your experience it sounds like you would be more suited to an experienced role, rather than a graduate role. Please visit our website and follow the links through to careers. If there are not any suitable roles you may apply via the 'Deloitte Opportunities' role."

I haven't received a reply from Deloitte UK till yet.

Here is what I received from KPMG UK when I inquired about my possibility of getting a training contract

"From looking at the below you appear to be part qualified with relevant work experience. Therefore unfortunately you would not be eligible to apply for a Graduate Programme with us."

You must be thinking what is it that I want to ask about :)

Well, I would like to know your opinion if I have made a bad choice (specially considering my age), secondly, should I apply for the "experienced professional" or "graduate scheme" roles available in one of the big 4 (in the UK)?

I have also attached my CV.

Thanks.
Furqan

Re: Query

Postby Bluewednesday » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:15 am

Will you be able to get a work permit ok?

British accountants are finding it hard to get positions so that may count against you (I believe a firm has to have a good reason to take an overseas candidate where there are british candidates availavle).

My personal view also is that your CV is too long (they should be 2 pages max)and could be more summarised.

What do others think?
bluewednesday
Bluewednesday

Postby Mature-Student » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 am

Agree, as always, with you bluewednesday.

UK work permits are now a lot harder to obtain, perhaps as part of E&Y, there is some kind of secondment/transfer scheme that you can apply for? This may be your best bet.

As for your CV, I'd be extremely worried about your professional skills as you name actual clients. Is it just me, or do others see that as a potential breach of client confidentiality? I would simply name the main tasks/duties and any specific areas of responsibility that you have. I'd also take the attachment off of here, remove the clients names, and put it back if you want others to comment.

Maybe split the employement section into two parts, with tasks, etc. One of when you were an IT Auditor (or whatever previous title), and one as you are now, Senior IT Auditor. The second one should show progression from the junior, doing, role, to the more senior, and I assume, overseeing/managing role. I would expect the senior one to be listed first (reverse chronological order, newest first) and slightly longer, and for you to detail the dates you have held each role for. Give enough detail to make them interested, but just not enough so they want to know more and are more likely to ask you to interview.

Dates as well are needed for your quaifications section. As an employer, I'd be curious as to how you passed Part 1 (which didn't exist after June 2007), but have only done 3 ACCA exams since. Dates may well clear up this confusion. Include details of your final set of school exams, as well as your BSc Hons grading. I take it you mean this - Bachelor of Science - and not BS, and that you did it with honours (reasearch dissertation/thesis) going by your current job.

Also add a very short paragraph of future plans, goals, and any additional useful info eg software package familiarity such as MS Office. And finish off with references. If these are to come from your current employer (although there should be two), you can simply put "Referees details can be supplied upon receipt of an offer of employment". Most employers understand you won't want your current employer contacted unless it's looking like you are going to be leaving.

This should leave you with a CV of just under two pages long. If you find your Education section spreads between page 1 and 2, I would consider moving it wholly to page 2, unless it leaves a large gap on page 1 &/or it takes your CV to 3 pages overall.

I hope this helps.
Passed final ACCA exam 08/2008
Admitted to membership 11/2008
Started studying CIoT 2009
- mad? I think I must be!!!!
Mature-Student

Postby Furqan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:51 pm

Thanks for an immediate and informative reply.
Furqan

Postby fratelli101 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 am

Yeah,you should make you're cv a lot more lesser. But in those 2 pages you must be able to sell yourself. Your achievements,personal info and experiences etc.

Regards,
fratelli101
Edited by moderator
fratelli101

Return to P6 Advanced Taxation ATX