and so it begins - for those doing P6 in June 09!

Moderator: Bluewednesday

and so it begins - for those doing P6 in June 09!

Postby LMLM » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:24 pm

thought i'd start this as my BPP home study kit (minus the revision planner & 2 mock exams!!) arrived today! i had to wait nearly 2 weeks for it to turn up - is it just me or do BPP's prices go up in inverse proportion to the quality of the service! 12% rise in purchase price in 6 months, that's going some i think!

so today i shall tackle chapter 1 - im hoping a lot of it is stuff i already know - i'm glad its based on 08/09 and not 07/08 tho, i wasnt sure tbh!

i would say the transient 15% VAT rate wont be involved at all, does anyone know different??
littlemissmosher
LMLM

Re: and so it begins - for those doing P6 in June 09!

Postby Mature-Student » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Hi

Not sure about the VAT rate, but seeing as it isn't in enacted legislation yet, probably not. Best bet is to check the examiners article in student accountant (also available under Exams - p6 - technical articles on ACCA's website) as this states exactly what is in and what is not. I think also the 6 month rule for enacted legislation has changed, again the article should cover this.

Any questions, feel free to post on here for plenty of helpful advice, as ever!
Passed final ACCA exam 08/2008
Admitted to membership 11/2008
Started studying CIoT 2009
- mad? I think I must be!!!!
Mature-Student

Postby LMLM » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:41 am

nah we dont have to worry about the VAT - or whatever darling decides to fiddle about with in this month's budget either, thank god!!

im now revising for my first mock (im doing BPP home study package) - cant wait for a bit of a break over easter.

is everyone of the opinion that IHT is the hardest aspect of up to chapter 18 in the BPP book?

im struggling with it and given it wasnt examined at lower level i'd say it was definitely going to come up...
littlemissmosher
LMLM

Postby The_Reverend » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:30 pm

is everyone of the opinion that IHT is the hardest aspect of up to chapter 18 in the BPP book?

im struggling with it and given it wasnt examined at lower level i'd say it was definitely going to come up...

Most people who I studied with, myself included, found this to be the most do-able part of P6 for a few reasons.

1) You're not adding new knowledge to old knowledge so there's no room for confusion between old techniques and new ones. You just learn what you're taught (althoutgh with HS you;re not taught I suppose).
2) It can also be fairly routine in so far as the same things come up in calcs (e.g. watch out for BPR, APR, quick succession relief, gift with reservation etc).
3) A lot of the written elements revolve around the domicile/residency rules (e.g. avoiding IHT by disposing of assets before you come to the UK etc).

There's some 'easy' marks to be had in IHT. If you know study this well, and it comes up in the exam (which it is likely to, to some extent, due to being stand-alone in P6), you should score well.

The exam is a S.O.B (or at least I thought it was). However, all of us thought the same at the last sitting and most of us passed quite well. So stay positive.
The_Reverend

Postby LMLM » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:44 am

lol penny just dropped what SOB stood for!!!!! well luckily i do a lot of tax in my job (im in practice) and boss has talked "at" me about a few subjects.... redoing all my i-pass questions tomorrow then first mock sunday, only on first 60% of the textbook tho luckily
littlemissmosher
LMLM

Return to P6 Advanced Taxation ATX