Any advice on reading time?

Moderator: Bluewednesday

Any advice on reading time?

Postby Isidis » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Hi,

I find the P6 exam very time pressured, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the best way to use the 15 mins reading time. I mean, I know that it'd be sensible to choose the options, but should the rest of the time be spent reading Qs 1& 2, or trying to spend time reading all 4 Qs carefully that I want to answer.

The questions are so wordy now it'd be easy to spend the entire 15 mins on reading q 1! Not sure if it would be a good plan to say spend 5 mins reading option qs and choosing my 2, then spend 10 mins on q1 and 2 reading, making notes.

I'm curious how people who had done this paper before managed their reading time.

Thanks for any advice!
Isidis

Re: Any advice on reading time?

Postby steve collings » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:04 pm

I think the best way to use the reading and planning time in tax papers is to plan your answers on the exam script. So for example if you have a scenario where mother or father dies then you have inheritance tax issues - highlight the dates of death e.g. if less than 7 years any PETs will crystallise if more than 7 years, they are exempt. Also make notes against key issues e.g. schedule A income, CGT issues, resident/non-resident status etc.

Use the time (as you say) to choose your option questions but more importantly to plan the approach to your answers. Your plan for the 15 mins reading time sounds good.

Kind regards
Steve
steve collings

Postby Bluewednesday » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:37 pm

I did advanced tax before the reading time was introduced so know I would have valued it! I found that I didn't have time to properly look through the optional questions to choose the one I could get the most marks on and so would use the reading time first to read the paper properly, select the optional question and then start planning the answers. Believe me in my experience you will use every second of that 3 hours 15 minutes.
bluewednesday
Bluewednesday

Postby LMLM » Wed May 20, 2009 1:39 pm

i would first eliminate question to not do from the 3 optional qu 3-5! then highlight bits of each question as much as poss that you can instantly think "oh well that clearly means such-and-such a little quirk in the normal scenario" then highlight personal info on relevant individuals eg their age, marital status, risk-inclination etc as they can be easily overlooked! ie for age allowance, married couples allowance, someone retiring probably = entrepreneurs relief etc!

im v worried about this exam as i just failed first mock and then flunked second badly - ive never failed the second mock before, eek!
littlemissmosher
LMLM

Return to P6 Advanced Taxation ATX