Former EY Associate Accepted to Royal College of Music

For discussing general accountancy related topics.

Moderator: Bluewednesday

Former EY Associate Accepted to Royal College of Music

Postby lawrenceblin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:31 pm

Hello all!

My name is Lawrence and I'm a US citizen living in New York City. I used to work at EY in our US national assurance practice working on mind-numbing technical accounting projects for a lot of major clients, such as Google, HP, and Amazon. Like many of you I studied accounting in college and was so focused on pursuing a career path in accounting.

However, when I entered the real world it was not what I had hoped. I'm also a cellist and have been studying music since I was very young, and the job took away from my creativity and free time to perform and practicing music. So I left my job to go back to my roots and pursue what was always my biggest interest in my life: music. Ever since I quit (about 8 months), I trained nonstop and was recently just accepted to the Royal College of Music in the UK to study with a professor who performs with the London Symphony.

I would be happy to be a resource for anyone here who would like to ask me questions about working in accounting if you are having second thoughts about the field, or considering pursuing the field. Studying in accounting and working in accounting, for me, were hugely different in terms of what your lifestyle will be. And as a creative individual, this was something I had overlooked. If there is anyone out there with a question I would be happy to share my own experiences. Don't do what I did! Get two degrees in business, pay all that tuition, and reach a midlife crisis at age 24 and leave your job to find something else to do :)

Feel free to read my crowd funding webpage if you are interested in reading a little bit more about what I've experienced the last year. Obviously don't feel like you have to give anything, just enjoy the read and feel free to reach out if you think I could be of resource to you. But I would of course be extremely grateful for any support. I'm aiming to move to London next fall if I can raise enough backing!

http://www.gofundme.com/lawrenceblin

Happy auditing,
Lawrence
lawrenceblin

Return to General Accountancy Discussion