career change

For discussing general accountancy related topics.

Moderator: Bluewednesday

career change

Postby poochys » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:40 am

Hello. Please could you tell me if you think it is realistic at the moment to change career to accounts type work? im early 40's, have always wished that i had studied accounting and am thinking of starting a fast track AAT. Ill be funding it myself and am unsure about the liklihood of obtaining a job in accounting after completion of the studies - I dont want to spend alot of money on something that may be of no use. Thanks.
poochys

Re: career change

Postby Administrator » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Hello

Welcome to the Accountancy Students site.

I would certainly recommend studying AAT - by doing this you will see if you have the aptitude for accountancy and whilst you are studying you can look for suitable positions.

Don't restrict yourself to the traditional accountancy practice - look at other possibilities including local authorities, colleges, hospitals and of course small businesses.

Regards
Mark
Over 4,300 accounting terms and definitions at Accounting Dictionary.org
Find all the latest news at AccountancyProfession.com
Administrator

Re: career change

Postby poochys » Sun May 19, 2013 10:33 am

Hello Mark

Sorry for the lack of reply - I didnt get email notification and have only just come back on here.. thanks for the advice, Hopefully Ill do AAT, struggling with the cost but Id prefer it to doing a degree as a way of getting some quals when I think AAT seems more relevant to working ( I may be wrong ). I won't restricting to anything ! Ill take any job with any relevance, as a start to where I want to go, I hadnt thought of looking in the areas you suggested, fingers rossed I get something

Thanks
poochys

Return to General Accountancy Discussion